Re: success report, nslu2

Are you using swap [...]

No idea what I had at installation time, but here's what I finally
ended up with by following default instructions. I know swap and
ext3 are supposed to be dangerous for write-limited flsah drives,
but I think I'll let myself get burned a few times before I start
actually worrying about

-Jeff

# fdisk /dev/sda

Command (m for help): p

Disk /dev/sda: 1048 MB, 1048313856 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 127 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

/dev/sda1   *           1         117      939771   83  Linux
/dev/sda2             118         127       80325    5  Extended
/dev/sda5             118         127       80293+  82  Linux swap / Solaris

On 11/18/06, Marc Singer <elf@buici.com> wrote:
On Fri, Nov 17, 2006 at 12:35:13PM -0800, Jeff Breidenbach wrote:
> I was able to install Debian on the nslu2, with only minor deviation
> from the documented procedure. Starting point was a brand new
> nslu2 from Linksys, which had been configured to a static IP via
> the windows configuraton tool.  This was with a 1GB flash thumbdrive.
>
> First, the installer disconnected my ssh session during partitioning.
> I was able to reconnect and resume the installer, but it immediately
> jumped to partitioning and stalled at 50% progress. After a couple
> tries, I ssh'd in and rebooted. The nslu2 came up fine, although it
> used dhcp and I had to use nmap to find it. I reconnected via ssh,
> and continued installation without problem.
>
> My only confusion was at the tasksel question, and I wasn't sure
> whether to keep the "standard system" option checked or not. I
> unchecked it and got a very minimal debian installation - perfect.
> Recommend adding a bit of advice in the nslu2 Debian installer
> guide on this topic.
>
> Anyway, it's a great little machine. Hearty appreciation to all involved.

Are you using a swap partiton?  I had similar problems until I enabled
swap.  I only needed it for setup.  The system runs fine without it
once installed.