Re: APEX and Debian

* Marc Singer <elf@buici.com> [2006-07-18 15:20]:
> It copies the kernel image, starting from 0x80000 for 2MiB to SDRAM
> and then jumps to it.

> Have I missed anything?  Do we want to copy more than 2M of kernel?

I'd like to avoid harcoding any specific numbers.  While 2M is
probably enough, I don't want to run into similar problems in the
future as we have now with the 1M limit.  Ideally, what I'd like to
see is that APEX would simply call the equivalent of RedBoot's
   fis load ramdisk
   fis load kernel
And simply look at the FIS table to see where those can be found.

Then we neither have to worry whether APEX will get bigger than 128K
in the future or how big the kernel might be.  We can simply put APEX
at the location where NSLU2's RedBoot loads Linux from and have APEX
find the real kernel via the FIS table.

The big downside I see is that this means breaking slugimage's
assumption about the FIS layout on the slug and fixing it will need a
fairly major rewrite, i.e. the ability to add more FIS partitions than
it currently knows about.  Then again, this is a good opportunity to
covert slugimage into a more general FIS flash generator...
--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/