Re: Deciding new arm EABI port name

Riku Voipio wrote:

On Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 03:40:40AM +0300, Guillem Jover wrote:
|update: since dpkg in etch, gnueabi-arm is pretty much the only choice.

Someone knows what does this mean?

In older dpkg you could just define any "gcc -dumpmachine <-> dpkg-architecture" mapping in archtable.

dpkg-architecture in dpkg 1.13 returns "os-cpu", where os and arch are
grabbed from ostable and cputable.
|Suggested names for the new port.
|
| gnueabi-arm (long)

Long and the dash ... =)

That's what kfreebsd-i386, hurd-i386 etc have.

The difference being that those have OS-CPU scheme.
gnueabi-arm seems to be ABI-CPU scheme.

As soon as we have the name I can add it to dpkg ...

You are stuch with eabi-arm or gnueabi arm unless you are
going to change the behaviour of dpkg-architecture while
you are it :)

Why can't we just standardize on a single scheme and just implement that
in dpkg-architecture? I've already had to change it for arm-softfloat and
arm-vfp...

My preference would be (OS-)CPU(-LIBC)(-ABI). The CPU might contain additional
feature specs such as arm-softfloat or arm-vfp, allowing important
ARM combinations (arm, arm-softfloat, arm-uclibc, arm-gnuabi) as
well as stuff like hurd-i386 and kfreebsd-i386-uclibc. That would require
a list of known LIBC's as well as a list of known ABI's in addition of the list
known OS's and a list of known CPU's.