Regarding MAKE

Respected Sir,
We are group of students trying to do a project in
Linux and we are stcuk up with basic program "hello"
using printk command,
1. First we have typed our program in a .c file in
/usr/src/linux directory,
2. We make a 'makefile' - "obj-m += hello.o"
3. Then we give command
make -C/usr/src/linux-`uname -r` SUBDIRS=$PWD modules
4. When we first give this command then we get error
 # make -C/usr/src/linux-`uname -r` SUBDIRS=$PWD
modules
make: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8'
make: *** No rule to make target `modules'.  Stop.
make: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8'

How to get rid of this error?

5. After doing this when we give make config then
# make config
make: *** No rule to make target `config'.  Stop.

But when we gave same command before giving make for
module then it worked
Please help us in this we have gone throught all
documentation possidbel but couldn't get rid of this.

Thanking You,
Avinash.