Re: ARM for a fanless Debian X terminal

In message <[🔎] pan.2003.07.07.10.27.56.508311@terra.com.br>
          Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra <lgcdutra@terra.com.br> wrote:

> Em Mon, 07 Jul 2003 08:56:46 +0100, Peter Naulls escreveu:
>
> > I have created a page: http://www.chocky.org/linux/
> >
> > Although all of these products do have fans, it's either only in the
> > PSU, or perhaps on the graphics card, and far from being a strict
> > requirement.
>
> 	As I understood it, the NetWinder OfficeServer 2100 is the
> sweetest machine... the others are too bulky (Iyonix) or simply
> leftover stock (RiscPC, older NetWinders).

The Iyonix can be rehoused easily - ATX form factor, but even that
might be too big for your requirements.

> 	I will check the possibility of using the OfficeServer as X
> terminals and servers, and perhaps the Iyonix as a server.  Obviously
> the server usage depends on being able to get a good connection to a
> RAID subsystem, be it with PCI on the Iyonix or Ethernet on the
> OfficeServer.

I don't see any problem with either of those.  NetWinders have a
100Mbit interface, and Iyonix a 1GBit.

> 	If anyone else knows of something more adequate, please tell
> me!

The items I have on that page, as I think is implied, are the only real
desktop ARM machines.  Anything else are board only - this doesn't mean
they won't be appropriate (far from it), just something to be aware of.

Part of the question is how much processing power you need, and whether
you'd settle with an off the shelf option or not.  I expect that both
Castle and Simtec could offer various 7500FE solutions, for example,
modified to your requirements.  Simtec also offer a super small ARM9
board (ITX form factor).

Peter

--
Peter Naulls - peter@chocky.org        | http://www.chocky.org/