Re: structure alignment problem ?

On Thu, Sep 20, 2001 at 10:37:39AM +0100, Phil Blundell wrote:
> >Not sure. I suspect it's a glibc bug, as I found that modfl wasn't prototyped
> >on arm.
>
> Right.  Well, I'm not sure I'd class it as a bug: glibc just doesn't provide
> long double math functions for ARM at the moment.  And, in turn, the reason
> for this is that GCC doesn't actually emit extended precision operations:
> "long double" is equivalent to "double".

Does ANSI C99 say that it provides the long double maths functions?
[even if sizeof(long double) == sizeof(double)]
If yes, and if glibc is trying to give a full C99 implementation, then it's
a glibc failing (or "bug"), isn't it?
[even if all they'd are aliases to the double precision versions]

> NWFPE does actually support extended precision if configured appropriately, so
> in theory one could turn on this support in GCC.  But I suspect it would land
> us in a nasty compatibility quagmire, and in fact Debian kernels tend to ship
> with this NWFPE option disabled.

"You are in a twisty maze of ABIs, all alike"? Alike, but not quite identical.
:-(

Nicholas Clark