Re: installing on RiscPC

On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 01:36:02PM +0100, Wookey wrote:
> Indeed. It's not that it's not available, it's that it not
> DFSG-free, or at leaast I don't think it is (it the 'you can't
> redistribute it unless the names of the executables and source files
> are changed' bit that is the problem)

I cannot see any problem with that! Consider:

  4. Integrity of The Author's Source Code

     The license may restrict source-code from being distributed in modified
     form _only if the license allows the distribution of "patch files" with
     the source code for the purpose of modifying the program at build time.
     The license must explicitly permit distribution of software built from
     modified source code. The license may require derived works to carry a
     different name or version number from the original software. (This is a
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
     compromise. The Debian group encourages all authors to not restrict any
     files, source or binary, from being modified.)

We'd just need to change the name for the Debian version.

> 1. Any changes should be forwarded to the original author for inclusion
>    in a later release of the tools.

No problem, since it's "should", not "must".

> 2. You may modify the sources at your own will. However, if you modify
>    the sources or use the sources in your own programs, you must give
>    due credit to the original author which must be visible to the user
>    of your program.

This translates to "you mustn't modify the part of the source code
that prints 'RMK rulez'". That could be in conflict with the DFSG if
you're picky - the DFSG do allow a license to say that the license
terms must be transferred unchanged to any sub-licensees, but they do
not allow upstream to restrict the right of source code modification.

> 3. You may not redistribute the programs nor the source code, in hole
>    or in part, under the same name(s) as the original program/source
>    names.

Seems OK to me?!

> 4. All other forms of modification are strictly prohibited.
>
> 5. A copy of this copyright notice must be included with any
>    distribution or redistribution of this source code, and with any
>    subsequent program distribution.

Cheers,

  Richard

--