Re: installing on RiscPC

On Wed 05 Sep, Peter Naulls wrote:
> In message <[🔎] 20010904211400.A9281@atterer.net>
>           Richard Atterer <deb-arm@list.atterer.net> wrote:

> > > Did you ask him about this?

Not yet. I'll do that.

> > BTW, why did he not release the code in the past? It seems really
> > unusual for a linux port maintainer!!
>
> The code's been available on the ARM Linux site for quite some time,
> although it's a few directories down.

Indeed. It's not that it's not available, it's that it not DFSG-free, or at
leaast I don't think it is (it the 'you can't redistribute it unless the
names of the executables and source files are changed' bit that is the
problem) - main text included below for people to pronounce. Aleph One got
specific permission to distribute the apps from Russell, but for Debian use
I think we need to change the terms of the license.

In practice the tools are almost impossible to compile on anything other than
RMK's machine, although this could be fixed with some work (or maybe just
someone more competent with RISCOS compilers than me :-).

License:
Terminology
-----------
1.  The `original author' contained here in is Russell King, currently
    contactable at rmk@ecs.soton.ac.uk

2.  The `source code' refers to the machine-readable source code,
    suitable for compilers to create the program, which is the form
    used to make modifications to that code.

3.  The `program' refers to the machine-executable code which is derived
    from this source code.

Copy these sources as much as you want!  It's totally free of charge, and
as such is provided WITHOUT warranty.  This program is supplied "AS IS",
and as such, all damages, loss of data, inaccurate data, loss of earnings,
failure of the program and costs caused through use of this program are
entirely your own, and not the authors nor contributors.

The following conditions are imposed on this source code and program:

1. Any changes should be forwarded to the original author for inclusion
   in a later release of the tools.

2. You may modify the sources at your own will. However, if you modify
   the sources or use the sources in your own programs, you must give
   due credit to the original author which must be visible to the user
   of your program.

3. You may not redistribute the programs nor the source code, in hole
   or in part, under the same name(s) as the original program/source
   names.

4. All other forms of modification are strictly prohibited.

5. A copy of this copyright notice must be included with any
   distribution or redistribution of this source code, and with any
   subsequent program distribution.

Wookey