Re: ARM 710a install: update

On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 06:31:55PM +0100, Philip Blundell wrote:
> Jon wrote:
> >This install works properly on a colleague's StrongARM RISC PC, so it
> >seems various binaries which work fine on the StrongARM break on an
> >ARM7.  I don't suppose there are ARM7 versions available?

I've made recompiled packages for grep and gzip available on
<http://atterer.net/debian/>. This will get you a bit further and
enable you to complete the installation (more or less), but prepare
for *lots* of further crashes. :-(

You will also find that upgrading to a 2.4 kernel will help with many
of the crashes, but not all.

If at any time you have working versions of dpkg and dselect, make
backups of the binaries! These two break regularly, and so do
textutils, grep, findutils. gzip seems to be OK - looks like it's a
different problem which only needs fixing once.

> In theory the binaries should be compatible with ARM7. You're not
> the first person to report this,

Jon was the second one - I'm glad I'm no longer alone, even though Jon
probably doesn't really fancy being part of this select club... ;-)

> but nobody has managed to pin down what is actually going wrong. I
> don't have access to any ARM7 hardware any more to investigate. But
> I do have an idea for how you might be able to debug this. I'll do a
> bit of poking around and see what I can come up with.

After my latest upgrade, which has luckily resulted in a usable
system, I tried to reproduce the problem (this time in the "find"
binary) in order to compare working and broken versions. However, now
both the old and the new "find" work. This sounds a lot like a problem
with shared libs, maybe glibc??

> (Incidentally, it might not be the binaries themselves at fault:
> it's possible that the kernel has some ARM7-related bug.)

Maybe it's also a bug in this early revision of the ARM710 processor.
Jon's system seems identical to mine, and when I bought mine, it was
the first ARM710 RiscPC that was available.

Cheers,

  Richard

--
  __   _