Re: Problems installing on ARM710

On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 10:46:30AM +0000, Philip Blundell wrote:
> Hmm. Well, I tried the `gzip' from Peter's base_2.2.tgz on my ARM7
> with a current 2.4 kernel and couldn't reproduce your segfault.
> Dbootstrap doesn't seem to work in a NFS-root environment so I can't
> test that. But I wonder if it's something else about your machine
> causing problems, rather than the ARM7. Is it unusual in any way?
> How much RAM do you have, and does that match what the kernel says
> when it starts up?

I really fail to see anything unusual about it! The only modifications
to the standard model were:

- Added a Hitachi ATAPI CD ROM. I have tried unplugging this - it
  doesn't make a difference
- Upgraded to RO3.7 and a StrongARM. Later I downgraded to the ARM710
  again, while leaving the 3.7 ROMs in. (I'd rather *not* change the
  ROMs again, it was enough hassle that once.)
- Upgraded the 540MB hard drive to a 3.2GB drive
- Upgraded the memory to 40MB (32MB + 8MB). I've just tried removing
  one of the SIMMs and start Linux with just 32MB or 8MB - no difference.

I have no extension cards in the machine. It's got 1MB of VRAM.
Russell's ancient RedHat ARMLinux port worked all right.

During booting, the memory is detected correctly, e.g. as "Memory:
16MB 16MB 4MB 4MB = 40MB total". The VRAM is also detected.

On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 11:58:53AM +0000, Philip Blundell wrote:
> I've now put in ftp.armlinux.org:/users/philb a RiscPC zImage built
> with the various CONFIG_DEBUG_ME_HARDER type of options set. This
> ought to elicit some diagnostics when programs segfault, which might
> just be enough to figure out what's going on. You could give it a
> try, anyway.

Many thanks for uploading this! Here's what the kernel logs.
After pressing Return on the installer splash screen:

  dbootstrap: unhandled page fault at pc=0x4008c314, lr=0x02004050
  (bad address=0x00000008, code 0)

When entering "gzip --help" after chrooting into the partition I
managed to set up (by extracting base2_2.tgz):

  gzip: unhandled page fault at pc=0x4007350c, lr=0x40074678 (bad
  address=0x00000002, code 0)

Yes - apparently just "--help" alone is sufficient to crash it! The
gzip binary I'm talking about has an md5sum of
1f979af1d626a947a29be2c5735d4e8b

I'm at a complete loss...

Cheers,

  Richard

--
  __   _
  |_) /|  Richard Atterer           | CS student at the Technische | GPG key:
  | \/¯|  http://atterer.net        | Universität München, Germany | 888354F7
  ¯ ´` ¯