Re: Linux on a RiscPC 600

In message <[🔎] E12sOeT-0007yZ-00@pearl.tao.co.uk>
          "David Given" <dg@tao-group.com> wrote:

> >> I've done this bit before; it's not terribly hard, just fiddly (you have to
> >> configure all the stuff in /etc manually). Anyone who's ever installed ò0
> >> Slackware, and then got it working, will have no problems.
> >
> >This is what my Debian RiscPC install instructions use - see the URL in
> >sig.
> [...]
>
> I've followed the instructions, and I now have a nicely partitioned hard drive with base2_2.tgz uncompressed into /dev/hda3.
>
> Unfortunately, I can't boot it, because the instructions don't mention where to get a Debian kernel! The Red Hat kernel won't run Debian binaries (ELF vs a.out?) and won't mount Debian ext2 images (`unsupported optional features' --- what's going on here?) so I can't actually do much with it at the moment.

"1. You Will Need
----------------

- An lkab (linux kernel auto-builder) kernel.  You'll use this later
for booting Debian, not for installation.  These can be found at:
ftp://inkvine.fluff.org/pub/lkab/kernels/   You're probably best off
with a 2.2.13 kernel.  e.g.:
ftp://inkvine.fluff.org/pub/lkab/kernels/2.2-cvs/riscpc/linux-2.2.13-cvs
-riscpc-current If you have a modem, also download the modules tar gzip,
as you'll need PPP support."

HTH, Peter

 Peter Naulls - peter@erble.freeserve.co.uk
 Homepage - http://free.prohosting.com/~chocky/