Re: ARM status

Adam C Powell IV wrote:

> Glad to hear about all the progress!!
>
> Jim Studt wrote:
>
> > - I've heard tell of the frame buffer not being able to do anything
> >   but 640x480.  Someone could test this and hopefully document how
> >   to get into other modes.  (I do not have a multisync monitor, I can't
> >   really test this.)
>
> I think you mean Xfb can't do anything but 640x480 with 2.2.13.  fbset can put
> it in 800x600 or 1024x768, but X at that res hangs the machine.  Even if I do
> fbset -x to produce mode timings identical to those of the framebuffer, X still
> hangs it.

OHMYGOD, major celebration time...

XFB WORKS AT 1024X768!

I just built a 2.3.99-pre3-rmk1 kernel, and now X works.  I'm so happy!

You can get my kernel-image package at http://lyre.mit.edu/~powell/debs/.  If I
should have configured differently, let me know, and I'll build a new one.

I'm using fbset --all 1024x768-60, and then Modes "default" in XF86Config.

And...  IT WORKS AT 16-BIT COLOR DEPTH!!  It does E ripples in about 20% of CPU.
Theme switching works.  gdm works.  Xscreensaver works.  Enlightenment sounds-
"Wheee-boingoingoing" (I still prefer ShinyMetal :-)- work flawlessly.  This is
breathtaking, too beautiful to believe.

Okay, between the ARM build status (middle-of-the-pack in potato package count)
and X working, this is too much good news for one day.  I don't want to sneeze on
anything, lest it break... :-)

Congratulations and big thanks to all who made this possible.

Happy, happy hacking everybody!  There remains work to do, but I think it's high
time to celebrate!
--
           Adam Powell                     http://lyre.mit.edu/~powell/
           Thomas B. King Assistant Professor of Materials Engineering