ARM status

Seems like a good time for an ARM update.  We have quite a few more
packages done for potato and no known show stoppers.

- Richard Braakman helped me resolve some upload problems that were
  keeping a bunch of packages out of potato.
- I've switched to using the `popularity-contest' data to prioritize
  my porting efforts.  With the exception of `licq' we have all packages
  that are used by 3% or more of the Debian users.  (licq needs Xforms
  which is binary only and not for us).
- We are no longer the scrawniest port.  A quick package count of the
  Contents files from potato shows...
   3009 powerpc
   3100 m68k
   3148 arm
   3163 sparc
   3175 alpha
   3249 i386
  ... (I'll update the BRM after my current builds finish.)
- boot-floppies 2.2.9 is looking very good for us.  I've resolved the
  DNS problem and the mangled libslang problem.  We should have a clean
  signable kit for 2.2.9 suitable for uploading.
- gdb-arm has been added so we have a debugger.

Interesting things that interested people could claim and do...
- non-us still needs building.
- qt2 and aspell (both C++ programs) both fail when run during the build.
  It is possible that we have a C++ problem.  Lots of other C++ programs
  do run fine, so its not universal.
- Both jikes and kaffe got in this week, there is now a possibility
  that you could compile and run Java.  Maybe they work, maybe they don't.
  It would be nice to know.
- I've heard tell of the frame buffer not being able to do anything
  but 640x480.  Someone could test this and hopefully document how
  to get into other modes.  (I do not have a multisync monitor, I can't
  really test this.)
- Once boot-floppies 2.2.9 is released it will be time for people to
  practice installing.  I do this quite often, but thats not a fair
  test.
- It is time to switch to wanna-build/buildd for building.
  http://m68k.debian.org/buildd/ has installation instructions,
  although there seems to be a lot of missing steps.

--
                                     Jim Studt, President
                                     The Federated Software Group, Inc.