Re: Debian-ARM on an Acorn

On Thu 09 Mar, David Joy wrote:
> I have an sa110-based Acorn RiscPC, on which I currently run ARM Linux.
> Would anyone be able to tell me how long it will be before a Debian-ARM
> port will come out that will run on it?

Aleph One are working on it, and intend to release such a distribution in
say 2-3 months time (but of a guess at this stage, but that gives the
right idea).

In the meantime we will be putting out a RiscPC release of the existing
RedHat-based ARMlinux version in about a week, but of course that's a
very long way behind the state of the Debian version.

> And is there anything available at the moment that I could install and
> run on the computer?

Yes, see Peter Naull's post.

> I have noticed an absence of install disks for ARM
> based machines - are any available, or will some be available at any
> point?

There are none available at the momnet. I've promised to generate some
'real soon now' (as soon as I've got this RedHat version out the door)

> Or is this project primarily for the Netwinder, with no Acorn
> support?

Fair to say it is/was Netwinder-inspired but support for other ARM
platforms will certainly appear in due course.

> I am not a very advanced linux user, although I have set up and run
> several Red Hat based systems in the past, so some sort of installation
> routine would be quite important.

It's people like you that we are aiming to help - 'competent but not
necessarily expert'.

Wookey
--
Aleph One Ltd, Bottisham, CAMBRIDGE, CB5 9BA, UK  Tel (00 44) 1223 811679