Re: X Working!

On Thu, 17 Feb 2000, Adam C Powell IV wrote:
> Rod Stewart wrote:
>
> > I was looking at your patch.  I take it on Debian libwrap is also compiled
> > as a dynamic library?  The solution I took for Titan and DM 3.1-15 was to
> > compile the static libraries from tcp_wrappers with -fPIC.  Your solution
> > does look cleaner, provided you have a dynamic libwrap.so
>

> Debian potato has it in the libwrap0 package, on which a ton of other
> packages depend (ssh, gnome-session, etc.).  And the deb building
> process automagically generates a dependency on libwrap0 when it tests
> linkages- pretty cool.  It ends up being a lot cleaner, because
> libwrap.a also includes a lot of glibc static symbols which are
> typically not built with -fPIC, a real mess!

> The patched ORBit looks for both libwrap.so and libwrap.a in that
> order and acts accordingly, so it should work with systems missing
> libwrap.so.

Ah, but if you are on ARM, or perhaps sparc, and only have a static
libwrap.a built without -fPIC, you are still going to have problems.  One
could check to see if libwarp.a was compiled with -fPIC and generate an
error if it was not.  But people on architectures which do not need -fPIC
would not be happy...

> IMHO, this is the right way to do things.  The ORBit deb maintainer
> seems to agree, and has recommended my patch for inclusion upstream
> for release in 0.5.1, which should get into potato.  See bug #46324.

I agree, have you considered submitting it back to the ORBit project, not
simply the deb maintainer.  (I'm guilty of doing this on occasion myself,
not sending patches back upstream :))

-Rms