Re: X Working!

Rod Stewart wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Feb 2000, Adam C Powell IV wrote:
> > Chris McKillop wrote:
> >
> > > Lastly, gnome-panel refuses to run with some strange dynamic loader
> > > error in the IIOP library about not being able to translate to a
> > > given address or something.
> >
> > Known problem, with a patch.  See my post to this list of 1/27.
>
> I was looking at your patch.  I take it on Debian libwrap is also compiled
> as a dynamic library?  The solution I took for Titan and DM 3.1-15 was to
> compile the static libraries from tcp_wrappers with -fPIC.  Your solution
> does look cleaner, provided you have a dynamic libwrap.so

Debian potato has it in the libwrap0 package, on which a ton of other packages
depend (ssh, gnome-session, etc.).  And the deb building process automagically
generates a dependency on libwrap0 when it tests linkages- pretty cool.  It ends
up being a lot cleaner, because libwrap.a also includes a lot of glibc static
symbols which are typically not built with -fPIC, a real mess!

The patched ORBit looks for both libwrap.so and libwrap.a in that order and acts
accordingly, so it should work with systems missing libwrap.so.

IMHO, this is the right way to do things.  The ORBit deb maintainer seems to
agree, and has recommended my patch for inclusion upstream for release in 0.5.1,
which should get into potato.  See bug #46324.

Zeen,
--
          Adam Powell                     http://lyre.mit.edu/~powell/
          Thomas B. King Assistant Professor of Materials Engineering