Re: New Image

On Mon, Aug 30, 1999 at 02:40:39PM +0200, Gerhard Poul wrote:

> > > The new firmware solved the problem.  So it had out-of-date
> > > firmware even though it arrived two weeks ago.  (That was part
> > > of the flame story.)

> > Yeah, personally, I wouldn't buy one of the things at this
> > point:-/

> why?

They are too expensive compared with what you can get for the same
money in a regular old Intel box (and soon, cheap PPC boxes will be
available! :-), unless you *really* need something that is small, or
doesn't consume much power.

> > The 'unstable' tag is the key word here:-) I basically take it as
> > meaning "this distribution could possibly trash everything",
> > although that's never happened.

> think you're right. about 1 year ago alpha was in a similiar
> state. This changed about 6 months later - but this is a long time
> :-)

I consider all 'unstable' branches to be this way.  I don't use it on
important machines that I depend on for anything, be it servers,
workstations, or my home gateway/workstation.

Ciao,
--
David N. Welton            (    Circa mea pectora
davidw@prosa.it            )    multa sunt suspiria