Re: Port status

On Tue, 26 Oct 1999, David Welton wrote:

> Yeah, but some of them are also pretty ugly hacks, and in a lot of
> cases don't apply to Debian packages.  They are best used with "low
> level" kinds of things, like gdb, strace, etc...

Oh, I agree; I wasn't suggesting just blindly using them.  But
they're useful just as an overview of what someone else made
of the same job.

> Often times, it is the Debian rules files that are just really awful,
> and make it difficult to track down problems, and or start builds over
> from the top.

Yeah, I've noticed debian/rules being stupid on quite a few
occasions (ncurses springs to mind).  Dunno if this will improve
as and when people switch to deb{helper,make} (whichever the new
one is -- I can't remember).

--
Chris <chris@fluff.org>                         ( http://www.fluff.org/chris )