Re: The debian netwinder is online with a different IP

<emolitor@molitor.org> writes:

> Its come to my attention that Novare (Master Debian server people) are now
> colocating with the company I work for. I had a discussion with one of
> their employees who said they had been trying to get a public Netwinder
> for a while, but Corel wouldn't oblige. (Dunno if they knew about the
> old*current public Netwinder....) Regardless, either I'm going to bite the
> bullet and buy a Netwinder, or I'll try to get someone to donate one and
> bring it up on the DS3 here. I will be leaving for Spain on May 24th for
> two weeks. When I return I'll try to put this together...

Sounds good.

Actually, I'd make mine public - but I don't have much bandwidth here
(only 28.8k).  I want to keep it at home.

I wouldn't give up on trying to convince rebel.com (the new owners of
the NetWinder) to donate a machine.  I'm sure they'd do it if they
thought it would increase sales.  Part of the problem was that they
were in transition before - and we didn't really need it yet.  At this
point, we've got lots of machines to work with - just not enough
volunteers with free time.  I didn't get too involved in hounding them
for a machine because then I'd feel obliged to put more work in - and
I was pretty busy.  It doesn't seem right to get a donated machine,
and then do nothing with it.  As it is, my machine is sitting idle
most of the time.  :-)

> Of course the question is, do we need another public Netwinder?

We'll have the use of Alan DeKok's machine.  That's basically our
machine.  But it couldn't hurt to have more of them online.  If we get
a build daemon running, more machines will allow us to compile faster.
Perhaps the Debian project might also be able to use it for some
services or something else?

Cheers,

 - Jim