Re: release in 2.2?

Jim Studt <jim@federated.com> writes:

> After
> having clean installed dozens of netwinders over 3 generations of
> our product I would suggest we make a kernel+ramdisk image that can
> be downloaded in a single tftp transfer.  This minisystem would then
> handle partitioning, fs creation, fetching and installing the base
> image.  Nice points...
>   - don't need dhcp or nfs servers
>   - don't need to flash anything (I've zapped two boxes now doing that*)
>   - relatively easy on the user, the user interaction should be something
>     like...
>        power on, hold shift to get nettrom
>        setenv kernconfig tftp
>        setenv kerntftpserver 1.2.3.4
>        setenv kerntftpfile debian.install
>        setenv rootdev /dev/ram0
>        boot
>     ... and they will be into the install program where we can dump
>     them into cfdisk then ask where to http or ftp the image.

That sounds like a good plan.

Also, maybe I could set up tftp on my server (204.209.212.111), and
any net-connected NetWinders could use that for their installation
needs?  That would work, right?

> (Footnote on my flash failures: one failed for unknown reasons, it was
> just dead after the reboot.  The other I knew failed to write (flashwrite
> will report this once in a while), when I went to recall the flash command
> I bumped the power cord and knocked it out, instant paperweight.)

Oops.  I think you're right - I'll steer clear of the flash business.
At least until I learn how to JTAG it myself.  :-)

Cheers,

 - Jim