Re: Any clues where gcrtn.o lives?

    Jim> (I just wanted 'man' to work.... I've got man-db built and
    Jim> uploaded, but you need libdb2 to run it.)

Congratulations!  'man' was probably the most basic thing missing now.

(I had given it a shot earlier, but was missing the 'no' command
needed to build some NLS stuff.  Never got around to figure out where
to get it).

    Jim> In building the db_2.4.14 package for get libdb2*.deb it
    Jim> wants to make some libraries with the "gcc -pg" option.  This
    Jim> appears to be broken in a number of different ways.

Yep.  Been there, seen that.  This happens also with the bare-bones
RMK version of arm-linux-gcc.

    Jim> Barring some hints on how to get -pg fixed, (I don't have
    Jim> time just now to dig into egcs), I plan to upload a set of
    Jim> the libdb2*.deb files with profiling disabled.  I've editted
    Jim> debian/rules to make this change.  Should this be put up as
    Jim> an NMU, or just a bastardized set of packages?

If you do an NMU, be sure to make the changes ARM specific.  People
building for other architectures should not need to be affected by
missing '-pg' stuff.

This may be questionable, but I would perhaps send a simple e-mail to
the maintainer rather than a bug report, describing that this is a
temporary/one-time only change, and that it should not be incorporated
in the permanent source tree.  That way (s)he won't get confused by
new source on master, without having been informed, and won't be
tempted to grab it.  Unless, of course, the '-pg' workaround _is_
permanent..

-tor