Re: Util-linux (minus disk tools)

David Welton <davidw@gate.cks.com> writes:

> I managed to built util-linux sans disk tools.  I'm not entirely sure
> about how to make 'official' packages, as I don't have pgp on my
> netwinder, and I've always used the build tools for i386...  I've just
> been running 'debian/rules binary'...

I'll have to write up a FAQ on this...  (anybody else want to elaborate)

You can use the "dbuild" package for automating the build process.
PGP is available on non-us.debian.org .

> Anyway, there are things like more (which is nice, because less is
> broken, even after I tried building it...), dmesg, and some other
> goodies.

less works fine for me.  I wonder if your kernel is a bit different?

> The only thing I had to do to make it work, besides taking out the
> disk tools, was uncomment the 'semun' definition in <bits/sem.h>.

The current gcc and glibc packages are somewhat broken - particularily
with regards to header files.  In particular, the current gcc package
has a bunch of header files in /usr/lib/gcc-lib/include that it has
"fixed".  But those came from Corel's libc (because I built gcc
first).

I'm hot on the trail of getting egcs and a new glibc built.  I'm
having some problems that I am currently debugging.  Hopefully, I'll
have that working by tomorrow.  This stuff is "critical" for the port
to really proceed any further.

If you have to resort to editing header files - then it is probably
best to wait for the new packages.

I'm going to put in another 8 hours on this tonight.  I hope that's
enough time to figure it out.

> I'm going to see if I can get strace working now, I think.  It is one
> of those tools that I use for everything.

Talk to Jim Studt <jim@federated.com> - he wrote to me saying that he
had strace done (but didn't know how to apply to become a Debian
developer).

> The util-linux packages are in my home directory on master.debian.org.

Cool.

Cheers,

 - Jim