Re: packaging Rivet

Hi Massimo,

On Friday 17 September 2010, Massimo Manghi wrote:
> My questions are:
>
> 1) is this list the right audience to seek help for refining and
> amending the scripts needed by deb-buildpackage for an apache
> related project?

I think it would be best if you tried to ask general packaging related
questions on debian-mentors@lists.debian.org, which is the usual forum
for such questions. The Debian developer's reference manual may answer
some of your questions, too.  But questions that are specific to
packaging of Apache modules are definitely on-topic here.

> 2) what is the proper procedure to look for a sponsor of the
> package? I'm ready to provide for support for Rivet in the future,
> but I'd like to cooperate with official maintainers in the goal to
> have Rivet back into Debian.

Do you mean that you want to (and have time to) maintain the package
yourself, i.e. deal with Debian bug reports and prepare updated
packages? In this case, the usual procedure is to upload the package
to mentors.debian.net and ask on debian-mentors@lists.debian.org for a
sponsor. But since finding a sponsor is sometimes difficult, it is a
good idea to ask here on the debian-apache list as well.

On the other hand, if you only want to be the upstream maintainer and
are looking for someone else to maintain the Debian package, you
should file a "request for package" bug on the wnpp pseudo-package.
Google or "reportbug wnpp" is your friend here.

Cheers,
Stefan