Re: apxs and LIBEXECDIR ?

Fabio Massimo Di Nitto <fabbione@fabbione.net> writes:

> Hi David,
> 	sorry for the late reply but i didn't notice this mail until now.

No problem.

> > Another thought that crossed my mind.  apxs -q LIBEXECDIR is where
> > automated installers might want to put modules, right?

> Yes.

> > At least if they are using apxs as a guide.

> That's correct.

> > Another reason why just dying because of modules in that directory
> > is a bad idea, IMO...

> sorry but i don't understand.. related to what?

> If you are talking about #226833 it is pending right now.

Basically, yes.  If I install a 3rd party module that uses apxs, it
will install in /usr/lib/apache/1.3, and presumably everything will be
working ok untill I try and upgrade and *bang*, my previously
functional installation is broken.

I'm not sure what the 'solution' to this bug is, but if you consider
the number of bug reports that have arrived to date and do some
extrapolation to the number of stable users who will hit this on
upgrade, to me it seems evident that another solution is necessary.  I
wish I were able to suggest something that would make everyone happy,
but I don't have all the world's answers, only some of them;-)

--
David N. Welton
   Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/