Re: apache crash after log rotate

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003, Roberto Sebastiano wrote:

> > Can you try using these init script?:
> >
> > http://cvs.raw.no/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/debian-apache/debian/apache.init?view=markup
> >
> > you might have to remove the should_start check since it was introduced
> > recently.
> >
> I don't think is a init script problem
>
> I think there's a bug when apache receives SIGUSR1 with an high number
> of childs. Sometimes the master process dies leaving the child up

I am not sure 1000% but as far as i remeber apache childs wait to complete
the requests before dieing. So in case of highload they might still be
there processing and when apache restarts it would fail...

If you think that it is an apache bug (internal) than you should try
running a more recent version.

> These box are so high loaded that I don't use dynamic child startup. I
> have instead always a fixed numebr of child (the maximum the servers can
> handle). Dynamic childs loading make the server not respond well, as
> request may arrive all at once (and the server should have to fork() too
> fast)
>
> Those are task specific machines, there's no need to saving resources
> having less childs around

This would probably make the test easier..

Fabio

--
Our mission: make IPv6 the default IP protocol
"We are on a mission from God" - Elwood Blues

http://www.itojun.org/paper/itojun-nanog-200210-ipv6isp/mgp00004.html