apache + libapache-mod-ssl vs. apache-ssl?

Hello all,

I'm unclear on the intention of the apache-ssl package.  It doesn't
provide a daemon with the ssl library compiled in, yet it uses a
different (apparently) DSO from the one obtainable as a separate
package.

Currently I'm using the plain vanilla apache pkg and would like to add
SSL.  Unfortunately, after doing the dance as written in
/usr/share/doc scripture, while the ssl_engine_log and error.log give
every indication that SSL is up and running, connections to port 443
are rejected, and netstat -l reveals no listening on port 443 at all.
I think this eliminates my firewall (shorewall, fwiw) as a culprit,
which has a hole for port 443 anyway.

Am I doing something heinously wrong by even adding libapache-mod-ssl
to the plain vanilla apache package?  Is there some canonical
Debianish way of handling SSL that I'm missing?  All replies, even
surly demands to read appropriate docs (if a pointer is included) are
greatly appreciated.

--JB

--
"It's not that everything is as-it-is, without us having tried anything.
Everything is as-it-is after we've broken our bones, trying everything."