Re: Need help on Apache and ASP and EJB

> Dear Mr. Shugg:
>
> Thank you for your email.
>
> I hope I can run Apache to support VB ASP on Windows
> NT. I heard that it is possible by installing some
> model of perl, but I am not sure and I do not know
> what it is and where I can get it. Could you please
> give me some advice on it?
>
> Thank you very much for your time and help.
>
> Sincerely
>
> Bill

(Cc'd back to the list, for the archives - seeing as that's where the
question was originally asked.)

Hello Bill,

The Apache::ASP module[1] is "an Active Server Pages port to the Apache
Web Server with Perl scripting only".  In Debian it is provided for the
Apache web server by the libapache-asp-perl package.  If you're going to
be doing this on NT though, Debian isn't really relevant to you - not sure
why you asked about this on a Debian mailing list.

Note that this module does ASP scripting in Perl, NOT Visual Basic.  If
you have VB code you're going to need to rewrite it in Perl if you want to
run Apache as your web server - as far as I know, anyway.

The description from the Debian libapache-asp-perl is as follows:

 This perl module provides an Active Server Pages port to the Apache Web
 Server with perl as the host scripting language. Active Server Pages is
 a web application platform that originated with the Microsoft NT/IIS
 server. Under Apache for Unix and Win32 platforms it allows a developer
 to create dynamic web applications with session management and embedded
 perl code.
 .
 This module works under the Apache Web Server with the mod_perl module
 enabled. See http://www.apache.org and http://perl.apache.org for
 further information.
 .
 This is a portable solution, similar to ActiveState's PerlScript for
 NT/IIS ASP. Work has been done and will continue to make ports to and
 from this implementation as smooth as possible.

I would recommend that you look at what Apache::ASP[1] and ActiveState[2]
have to offer you for your problem.  I don't think the background of the
debian-apache mailing list is really going to be much help.  Try asking
the folks at one of these two projects, they're likely to know more.

Andrew.

[1] http://www.apache-asp.org/
[2] http://www.activestate.com/

--
Andrew Shugg <andrew@neep.com.au>                   http://www.neep.com.au/

"Just remember, Mr Fawlty, there's always someone worse off than yourself."
"Is there?  Well I'd like to meet him.  I could do with a good laugh."