Weird JDK1.1/Tomcat/Cocoon2-problem

Hello folks!

I've been struggling with getting Cocoon2 up and running. I'm going to
try getting CocoBlog up, or that's the Ultimate Goal[tm] anyway.

I've had some weird problems with Tomcat going bananas when using
JDK1.1 underneath but not when using Blackdown's j2sdk1.3. These are
the details as far as I know them:

I'm trying to do as much as possible by taking things "out-of-the-box",
and so I have just installed java-common, jdk1.1, and then gone
apt-get install cocoon2
The next thing I know, my /var/log partition is full (but at least the
people who ridiculed my 14 partitions stopped laughing... :-) ).
In the stdout.log, there are tons of entries like this:

PoolTcpEndpoint: Endpoint
ServerSocket[addr=localhost/127.0.0.1,port=0,localport=8007] ignored
exception: java.net.SocketException: Socket closed
java.net.SocketException: Socket closed
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.close(PlainSocketImpl.java:408)
        at java.net.Socket.close(Socket.java:383)
        at java.net.ServerSocket.implAccept(ServerSocket.java:206)
        at java.net.ServerSocket.accept(ServerSocket.java:181)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.acceptSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:314)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:459)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:519)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java)

Googling and tearing my hair off helped little in figuring out what it
was, so I turned to the tomcat-user-list. I was adviced to try
Tomcat 4. That wasn't too bad, but required the Java SDK >= 1.3, and so
I removed jdk1.1 from Woody and went over to get j2sdk1.3 from
Blackdown instead, using
deb ftp://sunsite.dk/mirrors/java-linux/debian woody non-free
in my sources.list

The problem then was to get Cocoon2 to work with Tomcat4, but since I'm
not too good at the packaging system yet, this proved non-trivial. So,
after much ado, I tried to get back to Tomcat 3.3. I was expecting to
see lots of errors in my log again, but none came. I thought this was
strange, so I began puring and installing different packages to see
what happened.

This is what I did: I purged everything, except the SDK, reinstalled
Tomcat 3.3 and Cocoon 2, still no problems. I purged everything again,
the SDK too, and installed the JDK1.1 from Woody, and Tomcat 3.3 and
Cocoon 2, and the log took off with tons of entries like the one above.
Finally, I again purged everything, reinstalling j2sdk1.3 and Tomcat
3.3 and Cocoon 2, and right now, I can't spot any problems.

Well, since it appears only when jdk1.1 is installed, I have arrived at
the conclusion that Tomcat's behaviour has something to do with it. I
could be totally wrong, of course...

Am I the only one seeing this? Is it some kind of bug, or have I just
done something very weird that I'm not aware of?

(BTW, talking about CocoBlog, have anybody tried to package Apache
Xindice?)

Best,

Kjetil
--