Re: Network Install Debian

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 03:05:51PM +1000, Dean Hamstead wrote:
> For a network install, whilst you boot from some form of attached media
> (cd/dvd/usb) all the actual .deb files are retrieved via
> http/ftp/whatever then copied to disk
>

> Dean
> On 22/04/13 14:57, ____ ____ wrote:
> > Debian has several ways to install, but I don't understand about
> > "Network Install"
> >

> > What different between Network Boot and Network Install?
> >
> > I know Network Install and Network boot are both requires user needs
> > Network Connection, so the procedure can be started.
> >

> > if I  want to Network Install, my motherboard needs to support Network
> > boot?

The netboot image is just a boot medium that loads the kernel and
initrd. It contains the bare essentials to download everything else
via network. That works the same as booting over pxe (network boot).
Those are just two different boot methods resulting in the same thing
being booted. And yes, netboot is generaly something the hardware
supports or you need to boot something that can do pxe. Afaik
grub has support for that.

MfG
	Goswin