Re: Cannot use Debian

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 06:51:18AM -0500, Chris Swenson wrote:
> It's possible you have a CPU that has 2 cores, but is still not 64-bit
> compatible. I have a Dell laptop with Intel Core Duo that would seem to be
> 64-bit capable, but upon further inspection is not. Check your CPU hardware
> manufacturer for the specs to see if it can handle 64-bit instructions.
>

> ? Chris
>

> On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 5:37 AM, ____ ____ <iujncux@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I can  install x86 debian on 2006's latptop, and I cannot install x64
> > debian on 2010 computer (RAM is 4G)
> > I was installed Debian x64 with  1 CD
> >
> >  when the booting procedure  runs on
> >
> > [4.779430] [<ffffffff81010b42>]   ?  system_call_fastpath+0x16/0x1b
> >

> > and yhe procedure was stalled....

Clearly the cpu can do 64bit. It might not do it well or it might be
broken but the cpu must have the 64bit feature bit and support a hell
of a lot of 64bit mode to get past the first few instructions in a
64bit kernel.

Certainly by the time userspace runs and syscalls happen, as seen by
the system_call_fastpath call, the cpu has clearly proven to handle
64bit mode. Even if it only lasted 4.7 seconds before crashing.

MfG
	Goswin