Re: RAID1 all bootable

On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 7:30 PM, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:
> Francesco Pietra wrote:
>> Thanks so much for this manual. Unfortunately, I have no more the
>> initial situation (one HD replaced) because I was hurried by an editor
>> to provide computational data from my CUDA server. I did not want to
>> run the server before all my data were backed up. Therefore I did a
>> fresh amd64 wheezy install on both disks, the old one and the newly
>> replaced. The installation ended with:
>
> Sad to see that you have given up already and destroyed your data.

I had all my data on another raid1 machine. Following the new install,
all data were scp transferred. All my machine are on a router, with
passwordless scp. Which is also used to contact external server for
computational work.

>  Oh
> well.
>
>> Nonetheless, I'll try to digest your "manual". At this point, could
>> you also describe how to safely proceed, on this situation, to have
>> grub on both disks? It would be useful community wide, to complete the
>> raid1 installation from the Debian installer.
>
> As was already mentioned:
>
>   # grub-install /dev/sda
>   # grub-install /dev/sdb
>
> Newer Debian installers will give the option to install to both disks
> but older ones do not.
>
>> (on the above situation I commanded "grub-install /dev/sdb",
>> whereby, at next boot, grub was no more found, and the system
>> entered "grub rescue", from where I restored the situation of grub
>> on sda only.
>
> Running 'grub-install /dev/sdb' should work.  If it does not then
> something is wrong.  Unfortunately you will need to debug it.

Following a seemingly correct installation, with grub installed
'grub-install /dev/sda' and 'update grub'

command

 grub-install /dev/sdb

led to a system that did no more boot. I can't see what was wrong with
the installation. I have now the same situation (install from the
wheezy installer). If you suggest what to check, I'll do that.

Thanks a lot for your generous help. I (we) learned a lot from you.

francesco pietra