Re: RAID1 all bootable

Francesco Pietra wrote:
> Thanks so much for this manual. Unfortunately, I have no more the
> initial situation (one HD replaced) because I was hurried by an editor
> to provide computational data from my CUDA server. I did not want to
> run the server before all my data were backed up. Therefore I did a
> fresh amd64 wheezy install on both disks, the old one and the newly
> replaced. The installation ended with:

Sad to see that you have given up already and destroyed your data.  Oh
well.

> Nonetheless, I'll try to digest your "manual". At this point, could
> you also describe how to safely proceed, on this situation, to have
> grub on both disks? It would be useful community wide, to complete the
> raid1 installation from the Debian installer.

As was already mentioned:

  # grub-install /dev/sda
  # grub-install /dev/sdb

Newer Debian installers will give the option to install to both disks
but older ones do not.

> (on the above situation I commanded "grub-install /dev/sdb",
> whereby, at next boot, grub was no more found, and the system
> entered "grub rescue", from where I restored the situation of grub
> on sda only.

Running 'grub-install /dev/sdb' should work.  If it does not then
something is wrong.  Unfortunately you will need to debug it.

Bob