Re: ATI proprietary drivers installation issue on debian testing

On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 11:29:34AM +0200, dagecko@free.fr wrote:
> Anyway, my question remains the same. Could we expect future kernel
> releases to enable big lock ?

I suspect that if the BKL is not enabled now, it is not likely to be
enabled in the future.  The BKL is something that pretty much everyone
would like to go away.  In fact, while I see a configuration option for
2.6.38, 2.6.39 seems to have no such option, so I will assume that
nothing is using it still and that it has been removed altogether from
Linux.

> I work in graphics industry, so I often need up-to-date drivers to
> make tests and so on. So it would be nice for me that I could install
> drivers as soon as they are made available on IP manufacturers.

That's the problem with proprietary drivers.  When they break, nobody
else can fix them.