Re: ATI proprietary drivers installation issue on debian testing

On Saturday 21 May 2011, dagecko@free.fr wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I updated my debian stable into testing... My bad, since I have
> an ATI graphics card...
> I now can't install their drivers, even if I fall-back with the
> previous driver version and/or previous kernel-version (stable).

This sort of problem is going to persist until enough people write to their
elected representatives and demand the outlawing of proprietary drivers.

Companies should be obliged to release enough information to enable anybody to
(employ a competent programmer if necessary to help them)  make proper use of
products they have purchased, or forbidden to sell products without the
necessary information.  Which is not a corporate secret, but an integral part
of the instructions for use of the product.

As long as they are allowed to get away with not releasing this information,
there is also a serious risk that consumers could be being ripped off without
knowing about it.

--
AJS
delta echo bravo six four at earthshod dot co dot uk