Re: upgrade from x86 to amd64
- To: Morty <email@example.com>
- Cc: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Re: upgrade from x86 to amd64
- From: Goswin von Brederlow <email@example.com>
- Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2011 20:11:52 +0100
- Message-id: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- In-reply-to: <20110307092501.GN6076@red-sonja> (Morty's message of "Mon, 7 Mar 2011 04:25:01 -0500")
- References: <20110307092501.GN6076@red-sonja>
Morty <email@example.com> writes:
> What would it take to automate an upgrade of Debian x86 to amd64?
> I know there is no currently-supported way to do this. What would it
> take to make one?
> Advantages: shops with a mix of x86 and amd64 systems can have one
> master x86 build image that can be automatically upgraded to amd64 as
> needed. Shops with existing x86 systems that want to upgrade to amd64
> hardware can copy the existing install to new hardware, upgrade
> in-place, and be done with it. Shops with hardware at remote sites
> can upgrade in-place.
> - Morty
There is a script out there that hacks an update together. Google a bit.
But if you can wait then multiarch should simplify this greatly.