Re: Sound from a java applet running in iceweasel

On Tue, Dec 07, 2010 at 11:38:12AM -0600, Karl Schmidt wrote:
> Interesting - Pulse audio seems to be being pushed as a new "sound server"
>
> There is this from wikipedia http://www.javasonics.com/support/check_play.html
>
> I'm not understanding the whole of the sound picture in the Linux world -
> I thought ALSA was the sound 'system' which included the server function?
>  If it is only the driver part - providing a software interface to the
> sound hardware that clears up a bit. If ALSA is not a sound server what
> is alasmixer doing?

Alsamixer ajusts the hardware mixer of your sound chip.  That's what
mixers usually do (until windows vista added virtual mixing in software).

> But then what are esd and arts, jack?  I wish I could find someplace that
> clearly defined the roles of these sound packages. It appears there is a
> lot of over lapping functionality.  It is not clear if the sound servere
> or the application should be responsible for setting levels and routing
> sound to the correct hardware.

esd is a sound server to allow multiple applications to share a sound
device, and I believe also has some support for audio from remote
applications being run in X (not sure about that part).  artsd is very
similar but kde related instead.  jack is mainly for connecting various
audio devices together (usually alsa run devices) with low latency.
Great for audio editing stuff, not sure if it has much use elsewhere.

> In the mean time, it appears that java/iceweasel does not know how to
> talk to alsa or arts? Or am I wrong? Debian has embraced ALSA but
> how/when will a sane API for sound appear.

Well alsa can emulate oss which is the original linux sound interface.
Look at alsa-oss package.

> Were you able to play that test clip? http://www.javasonics.com/support/check_play.html
>
> There are many remote radio tuners  such as this http://194.29.11.10/ that provide java audio..

I was actually under the impression no one used java plugins on web
pages anymore.  Now I am disppointed to hear that isn't the case.