Re: intel i3 processor

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 08:07:47PM +0530, Siddharth Ravikumar wrote:
>  I don't use Flash and Skpype. I need emacs and Java OpenJDK 6 , these
> are the two most important things . If  they are already ported to
> amd64 . Then its good news .

Those work just fine on amd64.  I use OpenJDK 6 all the time, and while
I don't use emacs, I'm quite certain I'd have heard if it didn't work.

According to [0], all Core i3 models support the amd64 architecture
(which Intel calls Intel 64).  Personally, if you don't need proprietary
32-bit programs, I certainly encourage you to go with amd64: it can
provide small general speed improvements overall as well as very
significant ones in some applications.  32-bit programs can be run very
easily on an amd64 Debian system if they only use libraries installed by
the ia32-libs* packages.

[0] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Core_i3_microprocessors