Re: intel i3 processor

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 10:08 AM, Siddharth Ravikumar
<rsiddharth.mail@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am planning to build my own computer . I have choosen to use intel
> i3 as my processor , I just want to know whether debian amd64 will be
> the right debian port If am to use intel i3 ? .
>
> i have not yet bought the processor , so I would like to know whether
> 32-bit processor or 64-bit processor is recommended given the fact
> that I use only GNU/Linux based operating system .

There's somewhat more software that runs on IA-32 than on x86_64.  The
sorts of things that people find missing on x86_64 are:

- Adobe Flash
- Possibly Skype
- Third party things provided in binary form (e.g. - no sources)

If you care about those sorts of applications a lot, then that should
certainly influence your decision, probably towards 32 bit.

If not, then there's still often not *strong* reason to prefer 64 bit
- it's not vastly superior on all kinds of workloads, though there are
considerable advantages for applications that can really use a lot of
memory.