Re: Google Gears

On Tue, Jul 06, 2010 at 07:35:41AM +1000, Alexander Samad wrote:

> > offlineimap is very good, but it has just been orphaned, so is currently
> > unmaintained. There are a few bugs lurking in there: it may be necessary
> > to research bug reports and apply patches.
>
>  bugger, I use this to currently backup my gmail/ google apps
> accounts, so is it unmaintained upstream or just deb

Both, I am afraid. The author has not been using it himself for some
time, and has just decided to orphan it. See the offlineimap mailing
list archives and the /usr/share/doc/offlineimap/ files.

Small fixes are probably easy: my python is very rusty and I am short of
time, but I suspect the current problems are trivial to fix.

In passing, for those thinking of thunderbird: yes it works, but it
is very very slow for synching with imap servers and far less
flexible that something like offlineimap + mutt.

ael