Re: cryptsesetup and luks different on amd64?

Am Mittwoch, 13. Januar 2010 schrieb Heinz Diehl:

> Please post the lines which in your opinion should be wrong. I for myself
> can't find something which is not right. The manual says:
>
>  luksAddKey <device> [<new key file>]
>
> Add a new key file/passphrase. An existing passphrase or
> key file (via --key-file) must be supplied. The key file with the new
> material is supplied as a positional argument.
> <options> can be [--key-file, --key-slot].

Hi Heinz,

I suppose, I accidently mixed two things. cryptsetup --help tells me:

-d, --key-file=STRING               Read the key from a file (can be
/dev/random)

And man cryptsetup is telling:
luksAddKey <device> [<new key file>]

              add a new key file/passphrase. An existing passphrase or key file
(via --key-file) must be supplied. The  key  file
              with the new material is supplied as a positional argument.
<options> can be [--key-file, --key-slot].

I think, as I mixed those two wrong. Below "Options" in man crayptsetup, there
is the entry, which confused me most (I think, that was the one, i meant!):

 --key-file, -d
              use  file  as  key  material.  With  LUKS,  key  material
supplied in key files via -d are always used for existing
              passphrases. If you want to set a new key via a key file, you
have to use a positional arg to luksFormat or luksAd-
              dKey.

So I thought, I had to do "-d /media/disk/mykeyfile".

I hope, this explaines it. Seem to be my fault, isn't it? :))

Best regards

Hans