Re: is there a way to revert to a previous, known working set of debian packages?

On Fri 08 January 2010 05:23:44 am Jurriaan wrote:
> I'm comfortable using Debian/Unstable. I accept that things can go
> wrong, and I'm willing to file bugreports.
>
> However, I do wonder if there is any way to make snapshot of the current
> versions of all packages, then update, and then, if necessary, revert
> back to the previous snapshot.
>
> I seem to have upgraded to a non-working X last evening, where
> xserver-xorg-core depends on something that isn't release yet. I don't
> mind doing without X for a few days, but I did wonder if there is an
> easier way to say 'just get back to this known-working list of
> packages', instead of trying to install the correct versions manually,
> which gets rather tiresome when there's a lot of packages.
>
> The internet revealed 'apt-clone', which comes close, but seems to work
> only with ZFS and more like a general rollback tool, than just packages.
>
> How do other users do this?
>
> Thanks,
> Jurriaan
> --
> "Wefkins are unimaginative. Zocco, for instance, envisions a future of
> blissful ease, with never a pang of discomfort. Right or wrong?"
> "He is wrong indeed."
> 	Jack Vance - Lyonesse III - Madouc

Hi Jurriaan,

I use a cron script & log the output of the following programs daily:

aptitude search '~i'
apt-show-versions
dpkg --get-selections

With these logs & apropriate backups I can restore my system to it's previous
state, whether it's rolling back an upgrade or restoring from a crash. I
would think that something similar would work for you.

Cheers!

cmr

-

--
Debian 'Etch' - Registered Linux User #241964
--------