Re: Updating system with ia32-apt-get

"Hans-J. Ullrich" <hans.ullrich@loop.de> writes:

> Hello all,
>
> I thought about this problem and I have got the idea, to add an
> "apt-get-something", which is using ia32-apt-get and apt-get just to the
> reqquired needs.
>
> This apt-get-something should be configured by a apt-get-something.conf (or
> similar), where you can preconfigure if you use only 64-bit or additionally 32-
> bit.
>
> According to this conf, this would either call apt-get or ia32-apt-get.
>
> In the future maybe both apt-get versions might be merged to one single apt-
> get-new-somethingm which is always used.
>
> Just an idea, maybe you like it....
>

> Best regards
>

> Hans-J. Ullrich

If you look at the ia32-apt-get script you will see at the bottom:

case "$(get_action "$@")" in
  update) update "$@";
          if [ $RES -gt 0 ]; then
            echo >&2 "Warning: apt-get returned error $RES"
            echo >&2 "         Check above for the Warning or Error message."
            exit $RES
          fi;;
  *) PATH="/usr/share/ia32-apt-get:$PATH" apt_get "$@";;
esac

For everything but update the normal apt-get/aptitude/synaptic
(whatever the wrapper name is) is called. There is no apt-get for
64bit stuff and apt-get for 32bit stuff.

And by the way:

If you only want 64bit stuff then why do you have ia32-apt-get
installed? No need for a conffile. Just don't install ia32-apt-get if
you don't want it.

If you want 32bit and 64bit stuff then ia32-apt-get handles all of
that. There is never a need to call apt-get or aptitude as the exact
same command prefixed with ia32- will do. The only reason for the
ia32- prefix is that if there is a serious bug in ia32-apt-get and it
stops working you still have a fallback to remove, downgrade or
upgrade ia32-apt-get. But that is rather a last resort emergency
situation and a conffile for that would be overkill.

MfG
        Goswin