Re: How to install wine on debian/amd64/sid?

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 06:01:10AM -0400, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 08:07:20PM -0300, Cavan Mejias wrote:
> > 2009/7/20 Dean Hamstead <dean@fragfest.com.au>:
> > > If you arent able to fix breaks, you should use 'testing' which is
> > > currently 'squeeze'
> > >
> > > testing is generally solid enough but also bleeding edge enough for
> > > desktops.
> > >

> > Ya, I agree. Exactly why I use testing.
> >
> > It must be possible to downgrade from sid to lenny, w/out a reinstall.
>
> Downgrading has always been a problem in Debian.

No actually downgrading has simply always been a problem for everything.
After all if a new version of a package converts the configuration to
a new format, the old package can not convert it back since the old
package has no way of knowing the new format since the new format did
not exist at the time the old package was created.

Of course since most config formats don't usually change, then downgrading
can usually be done with a lot of hard work.

> The slow way is simply to change your sources.list to point to lenny
> instead of sid.  As sid packages drift into lenny by the normal
> development process, your system will gradually become more lenny than
> sid.  Along the way aptitude will probably have a few conniptions.  The
> answer to that is simply to back out of any upgrade that causes
> trouble (using control-U in interactive more).  The problems will
> usually sort themselves out in a few weeks.

Yep that works.  Well pointing to stable, since lenny won't update.
Stable will eventually update.