Re: VM Ware Player under Debian Lenny AMD64 on laptop

C M Reinehr wrote:
> On Fri 24 July 2009 04:34:05 pm James Brown wrote:
>
>> C M Reinehr wrote:

>>> The binary is VirtualBox (/usr/bin/VirtualBox) -- mind the
>>> capitalization.
>>>
>>> cmr
>>>
>> Very thanks. It is enough write VirtualBox in the terminal (but when I
>> used virtualvox-ose I wrote virtualbox, not VirtualBox).
>> Now I have a very strange problem: after booting the Windows under my
>> new VirtualBox my system (either Windows under VirtualBox or Debian on
>> my phisical machine, I cannot use Ctl-Alt-Del, Ctl-Alt-Shift, Ctl-Alt-Fn
>> and I cannot do any more than to press poweroff button on my laptop.
>> In the 3rd time after booting Windows under VirtualBox my system (on
>> physical machine) was crash, power was off without any my doing and my
>> phisical machine rebooted.
>> Now I am afraid maybe it was a virus of the BIOS I cached through
>> VirtualBox?
>> Or maybe it is simply becouse I boot my Windows from vmi-disk created on
>> my old virtualbox-ose 1.6?
>> But if is the last why so strange and awful behavior of my computer?!
>>

> OK, James, please take a deep breath and start over. Are you saying that the
> Ctl-Alt-whatever key sequences do not work in your virtual Windows
> environment or that they do not work in your Debian host system? If you are
> having problems within the virtual Windows environment, have you read the
> user manual chapter on Typing Special Characters (3.4.1.2)?
>
> If you are having problems with your Debian host system, I would think that
> these are unrelated to VirtualBox and indicative of problems in your Debian
> system. Is your virtual Windows system crashing & rebooting (not unheard of
> with Windows) or is your Debian host system crashing & rebooting?
>
> With regard to running a vmi-disk created by virtualbox-ose 1.6 under
> VirtualBox 3.0, I seriously doubt that it will work. While VBox 3.0 may well
> be able to work with the vmi-disk, but I doubt that the virtual Windows
> system will be able to handle the changes in virtual hardware. That is to
> say, that the new VBox 3.0 will present newer/different hardware devices to
> the Windows O/S which will not have the correct drivers to run. (I think this
> was mentione elsewhere in this thread.) I would suggest creating a new
> virtual Windows system from scratch.
>
> Cheers!
>
> cmr

I probably found what was the couse of my problem.
I tried to install into my guest Windows system the skype for Windows
version 4.1.
It didn't want to work under virtualbox-1.6.6-ose and always closed
itself with the reporting about error.
But when it tried to run under VirtualBox 3.0.2 of the Sun, that process
gave such effect.
When I created my new vdi-disk under the VirtualBox 3.0.2 it ran good.
But when I had installed the skype into the guest system and have tried
to run it, the adove-mentioned problem came again.