Re: VM Ware Player under Debian Lenny AMD64 on laptop

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 09:10:49PM +0400, James Brown wrote:
>
>> I intend to install on my laptop under Debian Lenny AMD 64  the VM Ware
>> Player 2.5.2 from http://www.vmware.com/download/player/download.html
>> (becouse there is no VMWare Player in the official repositories of the
>> Debian).
>> Which of the packege do I need - rpm or bundle? How do install it on Debian?
>> And what of libraries and etc. do I need install for succesfull using
>> VMWare Player?
>>

> You do not want the rpm.
>
> I don't like the current bundles either.  I keep nagging vmware to provide
> the tar files that worked with make-vmpkg again, but they are too clueless
> to understand why real admins won't run GUI installer crap in X as root
> on their systems rather than something the package manager can deal with.
>
> Fortunately we now have kvm (on machines with virtualization hardware
> support) which is in my opinion much better than vmware, free, open
> source, and maintained and part of stock kernels.  I have no need for
> vmware anymore.

Could the kvm boot the Windows from physical disk? (I want to make the
virtual machine boot my old Windows from my laptop becouse some
programes from my working space don't want to run under Linux).
Earlier I tried the Virtualbox but it cannot do it and the Virtualbox
from the Debian's repositories don't maintain USB.