Re: VM Ware Player under Debian Lenny AMD64 on laptop

On Fri 24 July 2009 12:45:18 pm James Brown wrote:
> Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 09:10:49PM +0400, James Brown wrote:
> >> I intend to install on my laptop under Debian Lenny AMD 64  the VM Ware
> >> Player 2.5.2 from http://www.vmware.com/download/player/download.html
> >> (becouse there is no VMWare Player in the official repositories of the
> >> Debian).
> >> Which of the packege do I need - rpm or bundle? How do install it on
> >> Debian? And what of libraries and etc. do I need install for succesfull
> >> using VMWare Player?
> >
> > You do not want the rpm.
> >
> > I don't like the current bundles either.  I keep nagging vmware to
> > provide the tar files that worked with make-vmpkg again, but they are too
> > clueless to understand why real admins won't run GUI installer crap in X
> > as root on their systems rather than something the package manager can
> > deal with.
> >
> > Fortunately we now have kvm (on machines with virtualization hardware
> > support) which is in my opinion much better than vmware, free, open
> > source, and maintained and part of stock kernels.  I have no need for
> > vmware anymore.
>
> Could the kvm boot the Windows from physical disk? (I want to make the
> virtual machine boot my old Windows from my laptop becouse some
> programes from my working space don't want to run under Linux).
> Earlier I tried the Virtualbox but it cannot do it and the Virtualbox
> from the Debian's repositories don't maintain USB.

James,

Download VirtualBox from the Sun repository, rather than the Debian
repository. You'll get a more current version and USB will work:

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

There are some features of VB that are not available in the open source
edition (ose) available from a Debian repository which are available in the
version from Sun.

HTH

cmr

--
Debian 'Etch' - Registered Linux User #241964
--------