Re: What is the matter with the "http://people.debian.org/~rafael/skype-amd64/"?

On Wednesday 22 Jul 2009, James Brown wrote:
> 1. How can I maintain my anonimity when establishing this  [IAX tunnelled
through SSH]  connection?

Using the mechanisms already built into SSH.  If you are concerned about MITM
attacks, then you will need a secure backchannel to exchange key fingerprints
beforehand.

You aren't anonymous to the far end of the connection; that's kind of the
point.  You always know who is leaning over and whispering in your ear.

> How can I be sure that an owner of far host don't write logs and don't
> give or sell or etc. them to the Government?

Because the person on the far end is someone you trust.  Otherwise you
wouldn't be talking to them.  Beside which, this problem exists with all
communication channels.

If your data passes through some intermediate host over which you have no
control, well, it's encrypted so useless to them.  And once your used keys
are in the public domain, then they could have made it all up  :)

> I don't want let them know
> not only about I talked but my ip-adress and my phisical location too.

Unless you are on a business-grade service, your IP address changes regularly.
You might be able to use some TOR variant, though I have no practical
experience of this.  Beside which, you do not know for a fact that Skype does
not pass on information you would rather it did not to someone you would
rather it did not.

> 2. How can I use this scheme when calling to ordinary telephones, mobile
> etc.?

Through a secure VOIP-to-POTS gateway.  (You then are at the mercy not only of
the gateway's operator, but also the existing phone network.  As is exactly
the case with a Skype-to-POTS gateway.)

--
AJS
delta echo bravo six four at earthshod dot co dot uk