Re: Problems with linux-image-amd64 on 32bit OS

Brett Viren <bv@bnl.gov> writes:

> ucko@debian.org (Aaron M. Ucko) writes:
>
>> Mainly if you do so globally.  My suggestion would be to run builds
>> that insist on second-guessing the compiler under "setarch i386" (aka
>> "linux32") to limit the scope of the altered uname information:
>>
>> $ uname -m
>> x86_64
>> $ linux32 uname -m
>> i686
>> $ setarch i386 uname -m
>> i686
>
> Thanks.  This was also suggested to me off list.  It seems to be just
> the ticket.

I know this isn't an Ubuntu list, but I just noticed that Debian's
32/64 bit linux-image-amd64 package seems to be the counterpart to
Ubuntu's linux-image-generic package.  Under that kernel "uname -m"
reports "i686" when running on Opteron.

Just for curiosity, does anyone know the reason Ubuntu's kernel knows
that its userland is 32 bits?

-Brett.