Problems with linux-image-amd64 on 32bit OS

I have several Opteron systems running 32 bit Debian and a very large
C++ based software stack for doing Physics simulations and analysis
(ROOT, Geant4, Gaudi).  Somewhat recently the kernels for these CPUs
switched to a 32/64 bit biarch kernel with the linux-image-amd64
series.

My problem is that "uname -m" now reports x86_64 and much of the
software I build triggers off of this to use GCC's "-m64" flag.  The
build then fails as it then tells the g++ headers to include stuff
that isn't there.

I've tried to fix the problem software builds but they tenaciously
refuse to bend to my will (gccxml is a particularly bad one).  I also
have more software that I know will fail, each in a uniquely annoying
way, due to this 32/64 bit mismatch.

I could downgrade to i686 kernels but I feel that would come with
performance or support problems.

I could override /bin/uname, but I worry that would lead to other
problems.

Does anyone have any suggestions to solve this problem?

Thanks,
-Brett.