Re: Opening pdf in Iceweasel crashes session.

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 04:05:48PM +0000, Nuno Magalh??es wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I'm getting this a lot. My university uses moodle and lots of
> classnotes are in pdf. When using Iceweasel 3.0.7-1 (and the previous
> version), if i open too many pdfs (around 10) in moodle, it'll crash
> my session and i'm back at gdm's login screen - very frustrating. On
> other sites sometimes it'll crash just for trying to print to pdf, or
> open a single pdf.
>
> Which log or other tool can i check? Other stuff like flash works
> well, but that's embeded, it's not a file the browser tries to open. I
> guess i could just set it to download but i'd like to preview before.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> kernel 2.6.26-1-amd64, unstable

You might be running out of ram.

If X dies to the point of dropping you back at the gdm login, then most
likely the X server failed to allocate more memory with an X client
(iceweasel and/or moodle (whatever that is) in this case) asking for more.

Certainly iceweasel has always used tons of ram when many tabs are open
at once, and if they have plugins on the pages then those plugins use
ram too.  You might just not have enough.  You might even see a note
about it in either .xsession-errors or the Xorg.0.log file in /var/log
or maybe the gdm.log, or perhaps the out of memory killer left a note
in dmesg or the kernel log.